Ours was about a foot (30cm) long. We kept it in a jar of water until it started to grow some roots and then moved it to a pot with compost. The cutting produced quite a few leaves before the roots started to appear.
Recently, we moved it to a larger pot and I’m pleased to say it still seems to be doing well.
Today I finally managed to complete a small task I’d been planning for some time – to prepare a small drinking water bowl for bees and other insects. I used a shallow saucer type container and put some pebbles into it so the bees will have something to stand on and not fall into the water. Hopefully, I will see them using it.
The buddleia at one end of the garden now has some purple blooms and is already bringing in the butterflies. I saw a small tortoiseshell feeding from the flowers this morning.